|Doha from above - now the city has 2 airports|
The new Doha Hamad International Airport (XOZ) is slated to eventually replace the existing but old and significantly over-capacity, Doha International Airport (DOH).
The opening of Doha Hamad International Airport (XOD) will be phased. Doha Hamad Airport will have the capacity to handle 29 million passengers a year upon opening, and 50 million upon completion. The first phase is set to begin on April 30, 2014.
Cities with flights to the new XOZ Airport, when the first phase of airlines move, will include Chittagong, Damascus, Dhaka, Dubai, Karachi, Kathmandu, Kochi, Kozhikode, Kuwait, Lahore, Mumbai, Mangalore, Peshawar, Sana'a, Sharjah, Shiraz, Sylhet and Thiruvanathapuram.
Qatar Airways and other airlines plan to move by June 2014.
The new Doha airport has been built 5 kilometres (3.1 miles) east of the current airport (aka: old Doha airport).
Doha Hamad Airport taxi services are anticipated to be readily available upon opening.
- Read about Doha Hamad Airport taxi rates, unofficial taxis and taxi scams - including the taxi fare from Doha Hamad Airport
There is a Doha Hamad Airport shuttle bus that operates to/from the existing Doha International Airport, which will be helpful if you have connecting flights, but split between the old and new airports.
Bus service to the new Doha airport is provided by public Karwa buses that pass through the airport.
Doha Hamad Airport car rental services will be available upon opening.
There is no Doha Hamad Airport train.
The next phase
|The Doha skyline|
Tip: if you have a flight to Doha coming up, be sure to check and re-confirm your arrival and departure airport(s).
The new Doha Hamad International Airpot (XOZ) has also been referred to as HIA, New Doha International Airport, NDIA, New Doha Airport, New Qatar Airport, Doha Hamad Airport, Hamad Airport and XOD Airport. Note that HIA is not an official airport code.
More from IHateTaxis:
- Doha Hamad Airport hotel shuttles
- Doha Hamad Airport services and amenities
- All Doha Hamad Airport transfer options (the new airport)
- All Doha International Airport transfer options (the old airport)
- New airport all set for 'inaugural landing'
- Doha's Hamad International Airport to open next week (video)
- New Hamad Airport to host local and international art (photos)
- Work begins on new expressway linking south of Doha to new airport
- Airbus A350 visits Hamad International Airport
- Opening of Qatar's brand new mega-airport delayed at last minute... what happened? (2013)
We have been receiving valuable feedback from people in Doha who are familiar with the situation on the ground as the airport has opened today.ReplyDelete
If you are a Doha local, or you have knowledge about the transportation services, we welcome your input!