What is pre-clearance?
What are the benefits of pre-clearance?
|Leaving the security check and baggage area,|
transitioning to US CBP pre-clearance
Your baggage will be checked through to your final destination (in other words, you won't need to collect and recheck your bags if you have a connecting flight).
If you are denied entry into the United States by United States Customs and Border Protection, and are not allowed to board your flight, you can simply leave the airport (as contrasted to the complications resulting from being detained by CBP in the USA).
Are there any downsides?
|Entering US CBP preclearance in Vancouver|
US Customs and Border Protection hours may differ from airport open hours. You should be aware that if your flight departs outside US CBP operating hours, you will clear customs at your destination airport.
What Canadian airports have pre-clearance?
|After preclearance at Vancouver International Airport, |
travellers are considered to be in the USA
- Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
- Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
- Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
- Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (YOW)
- Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
- Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Is pre-clearance available at other crossings?Yes.
US Customs and Border Protection operates pre-clearance at:
- Pacific Central Station in Vancouver - for Amtrak Cascades train service to Seattle
- Port of Vancouver - for cruise ship passengers embarking at Vancouver
|US CBT preclearance at Victoria ferry port|
- Port of Victoria - for Black Ball Line MV Coho car ferry service to Port Angeles
- Port of Victoria - for Victoria Clipper passenger service to Seattle
- Sidney, BC - for Washington State Ferry service to Anacortes
What else should I keep in mind?While flying from a pre-clearance airport means that you will arrive in the USA as a domestic traveler, you are, of course, still subject to reinspection at the discretion of US Customs and Border Protection service.
This article is posted as general information only and is not to be considered as legal advice.
The 420 From PDX
Is Uber Doomed?
How to Get Away from the Airport
Spot the deadly fake taxi on your international travels!
Dealing with Taxi Drivers
14 Great Cities Where You Can Eat Like a Cabbie